Tuesday, August 2, 2011

I'm One of Those Mom's...

I really had no idea. So when I entered Lucy into the baby show for the county fair, I did it mainly because everyone kept telling me "you have to enter her!". When we got to the fair grounds, I realized how out of my element I was. Now I'm not judging those who do this kind of thing all the time...well, okay, yes I am judging you, but it's not on purpose. It just kind of happens when you look around at the other participants. My Dad put it perfectly when he said, "my granddaughter isn't going to do baby nascar again!". For those of you who have never had the grand pleasure of participating in a county fair baby show, let me give you a play by play.


First off, all the kids must be in swimsuits. Fair enough. Little more love for all the pedophiles, but whatever. Next, the kids are grouped according to age. Lucy was in the 5-12 month age group. When you arrive, you have to check in and it's then that you receive your number. We were #19 out of 21. Then you stand in line according to that number and wait for the interview. Yep, read that right, INTERVIEW. They interviewed my 8 month old baby. What did they ask? Not much. They talked to Lucy and she gave them all a courtesy smile. Unfortunately, she decided not to break out into her spot on rendition of Defying Gravity or show off her killer ballet skills. I'm not sure what they wanted her to do, or wanted ME to do for that matter, but I just let her sit there at stare at them while they stared at her. The whole thing lasted about 2 minutes. Then we waited for the results.


First came the "specialty awards" which ranged from longest eyelashes, to best swimsuit, to cutest giggle. Lucy didn't win any of those, which I was happy about. The top three don't win specialty awards and I was sure Lucy was in the top three. Then they read third place. Not Lucy. Second place. Not Lucy. Sweet, that means she won the whole thing. No surprise really. First place. NOT LUCY. Wait, what? She didn't win anything?! That's when my level of extreme competition, that I thought was long gone, made a sudden appearance with a vengeance. I was pissed. How can she not win? Did they even look at her? Seriously. Then I was embarrassed. Then I was pissed again. This all took place in my brain in about 3 seconds.


I stewed about it all day. I tried really hard not too, but apparently it's just not in my system to let it go. I'm grateful that she has no idea what was going on, because if she inherited even a smidge of what I have brewing deep down, she would've been scarred. Needless to say, I won't be entering any of my children in any more baby shows. I'm way too competitive. I don't need a trophy telling me they are the cutest kids ever, I already know that.




(why didn't anyone tell me I looked like a grease ball?)






giving the judges a plum...

okay, not really, she fell asleep as soon as we got in the car :)

9 comments:

Morgans said...

I totally know how you feel. I did the same thing with my oldest girl and had the same exact feelings. The one that won was no where near as cute and cuddle as mine own. That is why I haven't even entered the others, it was not a fun experience. She is way cute! She should have at least got the best looking hair!

Tiff said...

I went through the same thing with Malia about 4 years ago at some festival in Provo.

I thought I didn't care - but mostly because I was convinced my child was already the most adorable child around... she didn't even get the Curly Q award when she was the only baby there with NATURAL curl!!! How DARE they!

I got over it pretty fast, too. ;)

CHRISTY said...

We have been in 1 baby show. When Reagan was 8 months old... The one and ONLY! I completly agree with your post! Glad to see someone is on the same page as me!

Aim said...

K, that's hilarious. I am so surprised she didn't win too! And those people who put their kids in those pageants are CRAZY. Just watch the show toddlers and tiaras...crazy!!! Anyway, you are right she is adorable and you don't need pageant to tell you that. You are so lucky to have such a sweet, beautiful little girl.

PS-thanks for the comments on my blog. Love you!

Debra said...

Sooooo funny. Thanks for the laugh-out-loud! She is beautiful!

emily ballard said...

Haha. This is awesome. I need to share with a few friends. . .

Anonymous said...

oh my gosh! That almost made me pee my pants. I would have been TICKED too. How dare ANYONE tell me my baby isnt the cutest! I'd punch them in the face!

Dalyn said...

Mindy you are so funny and honest I love it! I entered my lil' Brack man after refusing to enter my girls. I was like you, I did NOT need someone to tell me they were the most adorable beautiful babies around. I already knew that too. :) My hubby is the reason for Brack's entry. And, what do you know? Every suspicion that I had was true! Re stinkin diculous the lengths parents go to! Btw... He did win 2nd place. He didn't even smile or do anything either. Nor did I have him dressed in anything special. So dumb. I figured he wouldn't win because he wasn't breaking out into song or dance or wooing the judges with his incredible vocabulary. So weirdly enough, because of his placing, that is what convinced me that it was SO not for me. I just took one look around and figured my self esteem was good enough to not need someone else's approval. It just seemed that kind of competition isn't healthy for kid or parent.

Crafty Momma said...

Well, I hate to say it..it's usually the most beautiful babies that DO NOT win! lol it's so totally fixed and get dumber with each year. Who needs strangers as judges on how wonderful and beautiful your babies are! You and those who see her most of the time already know the obvious! she is adorable. What's sad is that those poor kids that do win and are really noting spectacular let it go to their heads because of the parent and turn up being..well, you know. she would have had my vote for first place! I entered Delia and andrew into the gap contest twice...not even close. there were some who I thought were very beautiful children and they were not even close either. I think it's just not worht the effort in trying to get someone else to agree with me on the "beauty" of my child. they are the most beautiful things in my life and all that matters is what I think ;)