At around 7 pm that night her cough seemed to be getting a little worse and she started to sound a little raspy. I had her alternate sleeping with me and Dave in our bed and sleeping in her swing (which was right next to my bed). At 5 am I went to move her from laying with me to her swing, when I noticed her cry was more like a high pitched wheeze. I watched her for about 2 minutes and realized she was having a very difficult time getting air. I took her into the ER and the nurse immediately started her on this vaporizer tube.
(vaporizer and IV arm)
After a shot in each leg, oral meds (I can't remember what it was), a tylenol enema (her temperature was now 102), chest x-rays, a heel prick for blood work, and an IV, it was determined that she had a really bad case of croup. Luckily the influenza and RSV test came back negative. I didn't realize how close we came to being in serious trouble, but later found out that the ER doctor almost had to give her a tracheotomy. Dave had stayed home with the boys, but my Mom met me at the ER and I am so thankful that I had her there to help.
(vaporizer and IV arm)
After a shot in each leg, oral meds (I can't remember what it was), a tylenol enema (her temperature was now 102), chest x-rays, a heel prick for blood work, and an IV, it was determined that she had a really bad case of croup. Luckily the influenza and RSV test came back negative. I didn't realize how close we came to being in serious trouble, but later found out that the ER doctor almost had to give her a tracheotomy. Dave had stayed home with the boys, but my Mom met me at the ER and I am so thankful that I had her there to help.The ER doctor and nurses (who were amazing by the way) got her stable and breathing much better and sent us to our hospital room where we stayed for the next 24 hours so they could monitor Lucy. The sweet baby ended up sleeping off and on in my arms for most of the day. She would get up to eat, poop and be back asleep within 10 minutes. When she was awake, she was giving everyone who was in the room big smiles and trying to coo. Talk about a trooper!


Besides having the IV in most of the day, she also had to have her oxygen levels monitored. The nurse couldn't get the oxygen monitor to stay on Lucy's toe, so she had to put it on her finger, thus wrapping up Lucy's other arm. She looked like she had a cast on each arm. It did give her this cool E.T. thing when it got dark though.

It was suggested to us that we stay the night in hospital because croup usual got worse at night. Lucy and I had been pretty much alone all day anyway (Dave had to go to SLC and left in the early afternoon and didn't get back until 11:30 pm and my parents had taken the boys for the day/night) and I didn't want to be home alone with her in case something did happen, so we stayed. Thankfully, not only did she not get worse, but she actually got a lot better through out the night. Her cough wasn't the loud "seal bark" anymore and her strider (wheezing sound when she breathes and coos) was gone completely.
It was a very long, emotional and stressful 24 hours, but we are so thankful and grateful that our little princess is feeling better again. Thank you everyone for your prayers and well wishes and thank you Mom and Dad for taking care of the boys.



4 comments:
Poor little Lucy! Glad she is doing much better! It is so hard when they are so sick, especially when they are so young. Your little Lucy is adorable and I can see you have been enjoying having a little lady in the family! we miss your cute family and the boys still talk about Lincoln and Grant. Next time you are in SLC please let us know and we can plan something!
Scary!! So glad she is ok!
Oh how scary. I had to take Nicksen into urgent care around 2-3 months old for croup as well and the PA there sent me home as well, if it hadnt been for my sister, whose kids get croup alot, I probably would have been in your same shoes. That is so scary. i am so glad that she is doing well. Poor thing. She is definately a trooper.
Did the ER drs tell you that when they are given the shots(which are steroids) that one of the side effects are low immune system? Just thought I would let you know. She is probably past that now, but just be careful just in case. I know my sisters kids always get a cold after they have had croup and been on the steroid.
I noticed your blog was sending me traffic, so I stopped by and found this scary story! I'm glad everything turned out alright. She's absolutely beautiful!
Post a Comment